The Evolving Data Centre
Data centre design is evolving with the advent of software defined networking (SDN) which allows for completely software defined data centres (SDDC). We are seeing the rise of hyperscale, microscale and other high-density variations of data-centres emerging all at the same time. These technologies are barely defined, yet their growth over the next few years is predicted to be many multiples!
Though each serves a different purpose, a core component of these modern data centres is a building block, sometimes as small as a single rack, that includes the compute, storage and networking required to operate on its own – a containerized, independent unit. These individual blocks are great because one can be used on its own as the smallest microscale data center or thousands can be used together to create a hyperscale data centre – and everything in between. Software plus hardware tailored for redundancy makes this both possible and cost-effective.
But, as data centres grow, the ability to see what is happening in the network diminishes. You need a cost-effective solution that operates like the building blocks, both capable of providing top-of-the rack visibility for a single unit and capable of scaling to thousands of racks with software defined visibility. Ixia’s Vision Edge™ 40 (E40) and Vision Edge 100 (E100) are best-in-class, fully-featured network packet brokers that are ideal for the ANY size modern data centre.
- Easy-to-use web-interface with point-and-click functionality. No command-line needed!
- Can be deployed in both inline and out-of-band monitoring modes simultaneously
- NetStack features built-in
- Max 48 ports of 1/10GE | Max 6 ports of 40GE
- Supports Ixia Fabric Controller (IFC) – a highly resilient and extremely easy to use SDN controller providing visibility management through a single pane of glass
- Cost-effective and can integrate seamlessly with into your existing environment – ideal for scale
- Can be deployed rapidly and modified quickly with Ixia’s easy-to-use web-interface, which makes configuration and re-configuration simple and hitless
- Ideal for expansion as they can be used standalone or with Ixia’s turnkey Vision One or Vision 7300, as part of a Security Fabric
- Great for continuous modification because they can be deployed inline or out-of-band – and even both simultaneously. Plus, they are multi-speed capable, to support evolving speeds!
Vision E40 Capabilities
Vision E40 is a fully-featured network packet broker which makes it great for multiple uses, including top-of-the-rack aggregation.
- Capable of (3) speeds – 1G, 10G and 40G networks
- (48) 1G or (48) 10G SFP+ ports
- (6) 40G QSFP+ ports
- Hot swap redundant power supplies and fans
- Available in AC and DC models
- Up to (72) 10G ports when using 40G ports with 4x10G break-out (Fan-out)
Vision E40 can be is versatile because it can used standalone or as a software defined visibility solution in a software defined network (SDN ) as part of a Security Fabric. With Ixia Fabric Controller (IFC), multiple Vision E40 and/or other Vision network packet brokers can be managed in a single pane of glass in the topology you need to, optimize your tool deployment. With IFC, you get unified management of distributed architectures, role-based access and controls, and you can see and all ports from all Vision network packet brokers at once. Allowing you configure an efficient, scalable visibility solution.
As part of a Security Fabric, Vision E40 also provides the ability to leverage Ixia’s turnkey Vision ONE and massively scalable Vision 7300, when your deployment is ready. With these network packet brokers, the visibility intelligence capabilities of PacketStack, SecureStack and AppStack to be able to manipulate and mold traffic, so your tools always get the right data.With Vision ONE, you can also monitor virtual traffic with Ixia’s CloudLens platform for public, private and hybrid cloud visibility.
Deploy both inline, out-of-band, or both simultaneously based on your security and monitoring needs.
Robust inline tool deployment enables users to deploy intrusion prevention systems (IPS), data loss prevention (DLP), and similar tools while assuring high service availability, even when parts of the system fail or become overloaded. Data from the network passes through a Vision E40 network packet broker via a bypass switch for resilience. Vision E40 sends the data to the IPS, DLP and other tools, which process the data and send back safe information via the Vision E40 and bypass switch back into the network.
Process and monitor packet data with a variety of tools without affecting the network with an Out-of-Band (OOB) deployment. Data is passively copied from the network with Ixia Taps and sent to Vision E40 and other network packet brokers for filtering and processing. Relevant data is then sent to tools, at appropriate speeds, so the tools can operate efficiently. With only the right data being sent, false-positives are minimized and your team has improved relevance of alerts, for a quicker response to incidents.
Save rack space and leverage your investments by using Ixia’s Double your Ports (DyP or simplex) capability. The Double your Ports feature enables ports for packet processing to be logically divided into two interfaces: one that connects to the network and the other that connects tools for security or monitoring.
- Use a single port to get data from the network – taps, bypass or aggregators – and use the same port to send traffic to tools.
- Separates link state on the network and tool interfaces
- Halve your rack space requirement for monitoring (see also Ixia high density taps)
The Vision E40 has a space-efficient 1RU design. To get the most out of the rack space used and to optimize data speeds for tools, Ixia offers a Fan-Out capability on Vision E40. With fan-out, a 40G port can be used with a break-out to operate as 4, 10G ports which is ideal for tools that may have only a 10G capacity. Combined with the load-balancing capability, you can ensure your tools are not overloaded and are operating at the optimal capacity.
To further optimise space and performance, Vision E40 also has a fan-in capability. A higher throughput 40G could be brought in through 4 ports of 10G each, that effectively operate as one. The 4 ports fan-in the data and operate together to provide the throughput needed. Combined with fan-out, multi-speed and load-balancing you can achieve what you need, custom to your network configuration.