Expert Wi-Fi Design and Analysis
Do your Wi-Fi network requirements include voice, video, location tracking, high capacity, or mission critical applications? If so, you will need professional tools to set up, maintain, and expand your network.
Ekahau Site Survey & Planner allows you to easily and quickly design and optimise your Wi-Fi inline with your unique network requirements.
Ultra-Fast Wi-Fi Planning
Accurately design multi-floor Wi-Fi networks based on your unique coverage, performance and capacity requirements. In 3D.
Quickly Validate Wi-Fi Coverage and Performance
Ekahau’s hybrid site surveys allow comprehensive validation of Wi-Fi coverage and performance in just one walk-through. No pre-configuration needed – just start surveying.
Easily See and Solve Wi-Fi Problems
Easy to understand visual map-based analysis combined with powerful live troubleshooting lets you identify and solve coverage holes, interference issues, roaming problems and performance bottlenecks.
With a single click of a button you can create comprehensive multi-floor, or even multi-building reports on the bill of materials, coverage and performance maps, capacity information, and network layout.
3D Wi-Fi Network Planning
Plan for Coverage & Capacity
Ekahau Site Survey shows you where to place and how to configure your access points, and accurately predicts network coverage, performance and capacity. All in 3D.
3D Modelling in Minutes
- Industry’s fastest 3D prediction engine
- Multi-floor and multi-building planning
- Wall materials, wall height
- Convert CAD drawings into walls
- Antenna direction, uptilt, downtilt
- Outdoor planning for urban areas
Automatic Access Point Placement
- Automatic access point placement & channel assignment based on coverage and capacity requirements
- Manual one-click access point placement option
- Crystal-clear heatmaps
- Hundreds of Wi-Fi access points and antennas
- Expansion planning combines measurements & simulation
- Fully supports 802.11ac, 802.11n, and 802.11abg
Hybrid Site Surveys
Site Surveys: Passive, Active, Throughput, Spectrum
One site survey walk-through is enough to collect it all: Active survey (end-to-end or throughput), passive survey, and spectrum survey information. No pre-configuration is needed – just start surveying.
Ekahau’s optimised Wi-Fi Site Survey Adapter is included with every licence purchase and works in combination with your laptops integrated adapter, as well as any Ekahau Spectrum Analyzers you may have.
The result: super-comprehensive and reliable analysis of your Wi-Fi.
- Simultaneous 2.4 and 5GHz surveys
- Simultaneous passive & active & spectrum surveys
- Throughput (iPerf) support
- Multi-adapter support
- GPS enabled outdoor surveys
- Touch screen optimised surveying
- Locates all access points
- Fills in the gaps to places you didn’t visit
- Automatic channel optimisation
- Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Network Analysis, Optimisation and Simulation
Network Analysis, Optimisation and Simulation
- Easy-to-read, crystal-clear heatmaps
- Signal strength coverage
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
- Data rate
- Packet loss
- Round-trip times
- Maximum Channel Bandwidth
- Number of access points (overlap)
- Co-channel / adjacent channel interference
- Network capacity problems
- Capacity issues such as excessive VoIP calls per radio and access point overload
- Spectrum Channel Power
- Spectrum Utilisation
- 802.11ac/n channel width
- Built-in requirements for VoIP, RTLS, video…
- Customisable requirements
- Customisable requirement profiles
- Locate all access points
- Analyse for all access points, or per SSID/channel/access point
- Visualise data for all or selected surveys
- Visualise measured/simulated/both
- Simulate how the network will perform using different Wi-Fi devices
- Fully supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Survey Inspector: detailed, combined Wi-Fi and spectrum analysis
Troubleshooting: See & Solve Wi-Fi Problems
Ekahau Site Survey allows visual map-based analysis, as well as powerful live troubleshooting.
The Real-Time Frequency Monitor brings on-the-spot troubleshooting to a new level by combining spectrum and Wi-Fi data into one comprehensive, easy-to-read screen. Survey Inspector does the same for post-survey analysis.
The Network Issues view summarises the Wi-Fi network condition; it shows why your network fails and where.
Channel Planner optimises the channels in your network.
- Coverage holes
- Throughput problems
- Excessive interference (Wi-Fi and non-Wi-Fi)
- VoIP issues (jitter, packet loss, etc.)
- Insufficient Wi-Fi capacity
- Excessive VoIP traffic or access point overload
- Misconfigurations with 802.11ac and 802.11n
- Sub-optimal channel assignments
- Rogue access points
- Misconfigured access points
- Missing security settings
- Excessive number of stations per access point
- Excessive load on a given channel
Fully Customizable Reports
ESS creates a summarized report of the bill of materials, coverage and performance maps, capacity information, and the entire network layout.
With a single click of a button, the entire multi-floor, even multi-building site will be completely covered in a detailed report.
There’s two ways to report: Pick & choose from the application, or based on your corporate reporting template.
- Selectable contents
- Template-based option for full customization
- List of access points and antennas
- Access point configurations
- Coverage and performance heatmaps
- Network requirements
- Network health and issues
- 2.4 & 5GHz separately
- Per-access point coverage & signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
- Capacity requirements and bottlenecks
- Surveyed areas
- Installation notes
- Detailed Real-Time Location System (RTLS) performance metrics
- Microsoft Word and PDF formats
Automated Reporting is only available in Ekahau Site Survey Professional version.
Capacity Planning & Analysis
Capacity is the New Coverage
Don’t just think coverage, think capacity, too. The Ekahau Site Survey Auto-Planner designs the network according to your capacity requirements and shows the overloaded access points and areas of excessive voice calls.
- Indicate network coverage areas
- Define your Wi-Fi clients
- Define applications run on the clients
- Prepare for network traffic peaks
- Configurable throughput surveys
Planning and Analysis
- Design a network based on capacity
- Capacity Health: show capacity problems
- Capacity Distribution: ensure even distribution of traffic per access point
- Simulate the impact of 802.11ac and 802.11n Wi-Fi upgrades
- Throughput heatmaps (surveyed and calculated)
Full Support for 802.11ac…
802.11ac and 802.11n increase Wi-Fi capacity – and complexity. Ekahau Site Survey helps you understand and optimise your 802.11ac and 802.11n deployment.
… for Planning….
- Automated design of 802.11ac networks
- Channel planning for the mixed 802.11ac/n/a/b/g environments
- Optimal 802.11ac primary channel selection
- Wide variety of the latest Wi-Fi access points
… and Site Surveys …
- Passive and active 802.11ac site surveys
- 802.11ac throughput surveys
- 802.11ac noise and interference analysis
- Spectrum analysis (Ekahau Spectrum Analyzer required)
- Channel bandwidth heatmaps
… and More.
- Support for data rates up to 1300Mbps
- See the performance impact of 802.11ac
- 80MHz and 160MHz channel bandwidth support
- Short Guard Interval, Greenfield Mode
Wi-Fi works over public frequencies, which makes it vulnerable to interference from other devices – Wi-Fi and other devices – sharing the same spectrum.
The optional Ekahau Spectrum Analyzer fully integrates with Ekahau Site Survey to provide various tools for troubleshooting and minimising interference issues.
- Visualize measured interference and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) levels on a floor plan
- Display and minimise co-channel interference
- Analyse spectrum utilisation*
- Fully understand the spectrum and Wi-Fi behaviour in both 2.4 and 5GHz bands*
- On-the-spot and post-survey
- Spectrum analysis displayed as amplitude vs frequency density view, as well as over time*
*Ekahau Spectrum Analyzer required. Spectrum Analyzer integration in Ekahau Site Survey Professional version only.
Since version 9.1 Ekahau Site Survey runs natively on Mac OS X.
Please note that the NIC-300 / SA-1 / Proxim 8494 adapters are not supported by the Mac version. You can do active surveys with the internal Wi-Fi adapter, but we recommend using the Mac version in conjunction with Ekahau Sidekick.
For information on how to activate your licence for the Mac version read the licensing FAQ on the Ekahau support website.
Wireless Tools For All Budgets
With multiple versions and bundles to choose from, Ekahau caters to all budgets.
Ekahau Site Survey Professional
The Ekahau Site Survey Professional is perfect for wireless professionals that need to do everything except spectrum analysis.
- Ekahau Site Survey Professional
- 1x USB Survey Adapter (SA-1)
Ekahau Site Survey Standard
The Ekahau Site Survey Standard is a stripped back version ideal for site surveys, however it lacks planning, capacity, reporting, GPS enabled outdoor surveys, or Cisco integration.
- Ekahau Site Survey Standard
- 1x USB Survey Adapter (SA-1)
- Supports 802.11ac as well as 802.11a/b/g/n
- Works with any 802.11 network
- Network planning optimized for virtually all major Wi-Fi systems
- Supports multiple buildings and thousands of access points per project
- Optimised for all Wi-Fi brands, including Cisco, HP – Aruba, Ruckus, Extreme, Xirrus and Aerohive
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 (32bit, 64bit)
- Windows 8 (32bit, 64bit)
- Windows 7 (32bit, 64bit)
- Mac OS 10.11 (Beta version)
- Processor: 1.5+GHz, multi-core recommended
- Memory: 4+ GB RAM, 8GB RAM recommended, 16GB+ RAM recommended for very large projects
- Hard disk space: 1GB required
- Supported Wi-Fi Adapter: USB Survey Adapter (SA-1) recommended.
- Check the list of supported adapters below
- External supported adapter and integrated Wi-Fi adapter required for hybrid site surveys
- Fully supported Atheros based adapter is required for passive 802.11ac site surveys
- Floor plan formats:
- CAD: DWG/DXF
- Vector: SVG
- Bitmap: BMP/GIF/JPEG/PNG
Supported Wi-Fi Adapters
Every copy of Ekahau includes a USB Survey Adapter (SA-1) which fits into any laptop that has a standard USB interface, so you will not need a third-party Wi-Fi adapter.
To maximise the survey speed and accuracy, Ekahau Site Survey will simultaneously use other supported Wi-Fi adapters it detects – such as the adapter integrated into your laptop.
Any Wi-Fi adapter, old or new, 802.11ac, 802.11n, or 802.11abg, that works with Windows can be used for active surveys. These adapters include integrated adapters (Intel Centrino, etc), as well as all external adapters.
Since passive surveys require more measurement accuracy, Ekahau only supports a handful of adapters.
|Brand & model||Windows||Mac|
|Any Integrated Laptop Wi-Fi Adapter||N/A||Passive|
|Comfast CF-912AC||Passive||Active (experimental)|
|EdiMax AC1200||Passive||Active (experimental)|
|USB Survey Adapter (SA-1) Recommended||Passive||N/A|
|Proxim ORiNOCO 8494||Passive||N/A|
|Proxim ORiNOCO USB-9100||Passive||Active (experimental)|
Supported GPS Receivers
A GPS receiver (not included) is required for performing GPS assisted outdoor site surveys. The following GPS receivers are supported:
- Bluetooth GPS devices that support NMEA
- USB GPS devices that support NMEA, Garmin Protocol or Trimble TAIP
- Network connected GPS devices (usually TCP/IP or UDP) that supports TAIP or NMEA
- GPS devices connected to PC-CARD that supports NMEA
- GPS devices that are connected to an RS-232 port that support NMEA, Garmin or TAIP
Become a Wi-Fi Expert with Ekahau
- Learn about:
- Wi-Fi design fundamentals
- Antennas theory
- Wireless planning (with Ekahau Site Survey)
- How to conduct a Wi-Fi survey
- Troubleshooting Wi-Fi
- Classroom training
- A maximum of 8 people per class
Ekahau Certified Survey Engineer
Our intensive 4-day training course makes you a master in deploying and troubleshooting Wi-Fi, using Ekahau products. Both lectures, and tons of hand-on exercises with Ekahau Wi-Fi tools are used.
- 4-day training, including certification exam
- A maximum of 12 people per class
- Hands-on certification exam at the end of the class